Why & How To Clean Your Makeup Brushes
It can be a chore and it’s one more job to do after a long day, but having clean makeup brushes really is a must have.
There are three main reasons why it is a good habit to get into:
- Dirty Brushes don’t perform so well. If your brush has enough product on that you don’t need to put any more on, it is not going to look good. Your make up may end up looking patchy, muddy and very different to what you expected.
- Dirty brushes can transfer bacteria from our skin to our makeup products and back again. Cleaning your brushes regularly will ensure that you not only get rid of excess product but also bacteria and oils that have been transferred to your brush.
- Looking after your brushes properly will help them to last longer. Brushes are a big investment, so we should be doing our best to protect them.
In the perfect world we should wash our brushes once a week, but being realistic if you can wash your brushes at least once a month you are heading in the right direction. Here are few pointers to keep you brushes in tip top condition:
- With warm water saturate the brush hairs only.
- Use a tiny pea size amount of mild shampoo then massage into the brush hair into the palm of your hand. Do this until the shampoo has been completely dispersed among the brush hairs.
- Rinse the brush thoroughly until the water runs clear.
- Repeat as necessary.
- After rinsing apply gentle pressure to remove the excess water and maintain the brush shape.
- Place on a towel and lay flat to dry. Never dry your brush in an upright position as it can cause damage, it will loosen the glue that binds the brushes and lead to hair loss.
Remember if you love your brushes and they will love you back!